Re: Still Life, drawing in general

---------

From: Heather Leal (rayleal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 10:51:53 PST

Hi,
I use viewfinders to draw still life arrangements or isolate a section
of the room like a corner. I have them cut an opening about 1 or 1 1/2
inches by 2 inches. They hold it up, then draw, then hold it up, then
draw. They don't seem to have a problem keeping it in the same position.
It takes some of them awhile to understand that the opening represents
their paper, but once they get it, it really helps them get the
proportions and shapes of things accurately drawn.

One project I have done is to have them use viewfinders to draw
interesting small sections of what they see in the room- we divide a
paper into 16 squares and they do a thumbnail sketch in each square.
Next we add color. They choose a color scheme. I limit them to three
colors. They color the sketches using the color scheme they chose. Then
they pick 3 the three thumbnails they like best and reproduce them using
cut construction paper in 9x12 size. The three finished pieces are taped
together horizontally like a triptych, so they make one rather abstract
looking piece that is 9" x 36". I do this with my middle schoolers. It
is quite a challenge for them.

Heather

Deb Hyland wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> Regarding the use of viewfinders, I have some questions. I

---