Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: 3rd grade & color

From: mark alexander (markcalexander_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 08:10:24 PST

 This sounds good to me. Sonia Delaunay is a favorite artist of mine. I've often mentioned to my students that her husband Robert Delaunay got more acclaim than she did primarily due to gender bias typical of the times, but that I happen to like her work better.
I've used her work as a model for a painting and poetry project with 8th graders. My artists wrote poems then illustrated them by created a Delaunay inspired non-objective painting, concentrating on the emotional quality of color. Paintings and poems displayed together are always quite striking.
Oh, and I agree, an hour and a half is not much time in a six day rotation for a quality art program. However, I'd say most of us get less than that. At my school, grade 1-5 students only get 50 mins of art every 5 days, and the grade 6-8 kids only get 40 mins every 5 days.
Keep up the great work! Thanks for sharing. Mark

Do You Yahoo!?
Find a job, post your resume on Yahoo! Careers.