3rd grade & color

---------

From: Jerry Krasnesky (ceskras_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 09:27:30 PST

Hi everyone. Don't know if my question is too simple for you skilled art teachers...in comparison to the conversations, I feel like QUITE the amateur!

Only have 1 1/2 hours per 6-day cycle to teach art to my 3rd graders. We spend the first half-hour on art appreciation - feature an element and an artist...sometimes we discuss just one, sometimes both in the way that the artist uses the element in the works...then an hour left for art production.

Now I'm featuring color and Sonia Delaunay. So, I've had the kids do a color wheel to mix/create colors. I've done a piece with them in the style of Delaunay - repetitive shapes filled with color (I only let them use the primaries & white & black so they had to create other colors). Also, discussed warm/cool colors & looked at some pieces that were done with only one or the other & talked about the feelings color can evoke. Kids made an outline of a shape on grid paper (with the squares divided by diagonal lines running through the whole page) then they chose 2 warm colors to color the squares inside the shape and 2 cool colros to color the squares outside the shape. Look great on a black tissue bulletin board with a piece of construction behind.

Anyway, I'm seeing the value in the production pieces being an exercise in what we've learned but I'm feeling like they may be too 'told' and not enough room for creativity is being allowed...what do you think???? I don't hand out tracers or do crafts but maybe I should be more open ended??? Although, I do only have an hour to produce & that's NOT a lot of time...and waiting til the next art period (6-day cycle) is like FOREVER so I like to have the pieces as close to done as possible by the end of the hour!

Any suggestions or comments? Feel like I need someone else to tell me if I'm doing an okay job as a make-shift art teacher!

Thanks in advance.

Oh, my next project is to discuss complimentary colors then have the kids do a self portrait for their portfolios using only 2 complimentary colors...

---