Re: Tips to drawing trees

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 08:42:19 PST

In a message dated 11/03/2001 2:20:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Rdunkelart@aol.com writes:

> I take my elementary kids outside to look at trees if the weather is bad we
> look
> out the window. I draw tree examples on the board - how the branches grow
> etc.
> They still draw sticky trees with a circular shape over the top - some catch
> on and
> draw wonderful realistic but the ones that don;t I wonder what they are
> missing???

You can certainly trust Susan's advice--we know how much she gets out of
her kids!

My approach with my HS students is the opposite--believe it or not, some
still make lollipops or triangular Xmas trees, or put branches only on
the side of the trunk with foliage sticking out top and bottom. I show
them slides of different types of trees and point out the shapes of the
foliage; some trees have big roundish clumps of foliage (cottonwoods),
others have graceful wands of foliage (spruces and firs). I have them
draw the shapes of the foliage first, then add a trunk and a few
branches peaking through. When they paint, they put in the shadows
first, then the middle values, then the lightest values where the sun
hits the foliage directly. I have to remind them not to try and draw or
paint all the individual leaves.

Maggie

---