TAEA

---------

From: Donald Peters (softsnow_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 14:14:31 PST

Well, the Texas Art Education Association state conference is over and I
have to say I have mixed feelings about it...

This was my first Texas conference and it was nothing like the great Kansas
conferences that I used to go to.

The vendors were very rude, in my opinion. Especially those representing
Binney and Smith and those representing Sanford. The Binney and Smith people
stood around an complained about the conference being in Lubbock (my town,
you can guess how well that went over with me) and the Sanford people had
examples of these great 3-D stars up, but refused to tell me how they were
done! I couldn't believe it. Will spend this week trying to figure it out
myself... will let you know the results. Hardly anybody was giving away
samples... most were selling stuff and people were going crazy for it.
Buying what looked like thousands of dollars worth of supplies, and I
couldn't see that it was that big of bargain.

The workshops, while good, were very poorly attended. Most of the ones I
went to only had 4 or 5 people in them. The one exception was an elementary
lesson idea workshop that was packed to the brim. Some of my colleagues
were presenting at workshops of campus and they said they had 4 people show
up for the 4 workshops they were doing!

Also, it seemed like there were only a few people actually presenting and
they were presenting 4 or 5 different workshops apiece. Was this because
they didn't get enough proposals?

It just didn't seem like there were very many people at the conference. I
hope there isn't too much backlash over this fact, as I know the people who
planned the conference worked very hard.

The main thing I really missed from my days of Kansas conferences were the
door prizes. You could expect to go home from a Kansas conference with a
door prize equalling or exceeding what you paid to go... Texas, no door
prizes!!!

Overall, it was worth the money for some of the information and the contacts
I made, but if I go to another Texas conference, and it looks the same, it
will be my last one....

Donald Peters
Lubbock, Texas