Re: Tips to drawing trees

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 05:19:45 PST

I have several things I stress personally, as a plein air landscape painter
myself. For elementary levels, I point out that the crown of the tree is at
least twice the length of the tree's trunk...which not observing often
leaves the tree having that lolly pop look. Secondly...I begin to stress
that artists don't have to paint or draw every leaf or branch to look like a
tree. That artists use little "tricks" that fool the eye to see. Crowns or
foliage as "mass" with skylight poking thru. They get a bit older, I
explain that as negative space. They get into highschool...I have them look
at a number of my online lessons, some actual paintings, and many pictures
of other artist's work. Drawing the tree entirely by negative space, which
helps the student's eye respond as an artist rather than necessarily as a
tree anatomist. Here are some of my sites for those having students in the
junior high to high school age ready for negative space. You could do this
with younger children by having them cut out some small sky white pieces of
paper from scraps and gluing them onto a larger mass. -Larry

off a bridge in NE Wisconsin
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles/Larry_Seiler/102

a good demo on water and trees
http://www.wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/Landscapes/Roadside/