RE: Feet

---------

From: Alix E. Peshette (apeshet_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 19:24:51 PST

Hi All,
After teaching art for over 25 years, mostly on cement floors, I have a few
things to say about feet.

Buy thick, squishy-soft rubber sole shoes. My favorites are Rockports,
Naturalizer and Dexters; all good quality but expensive. Less expensive but
equally good are Mushrooms.

Be sure to look for leather uppers as they stretch and give with your foot.

Consider having orthodics made by an orthopedics doctor. They are expensive
($300!) (sometimes covered by insurance) and usually only fit in certain
styles of shoes, but, boy, are they worth it!!

Also, consider changing shoes half-way through the school day. It gives the
feet a change of pace.

Try to find some time to sit down and have the students come to you (yea,
right, easier said than done!)

If offered a portable classroom with a sink and water, consider accepting
it! Portables have nice springy wood floors - your feet will thank you!

After the last three years in a portable, I am now once again on a cement
and linoleum floor. I am also looking forward to my second foot operation
on the remaining bad foot. I chalk all of this up to an occupational hazard
which no one ever mentions in university teacher education classes!

-Alix Peshette
+25 year veteran teacher

---