Re: 3-D Paintings

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 18:03:31 PST

In a message dated 11/04/2001 6:57:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
whest177@wheatstate.com writes:

> I was just curious as to how many of you have purchased the Sax 3-D painting
> kit - and what projects did you do with it? I bought fluorescent paint and
> canvas, but am not sure what direction to take with the actual painting. I
> have several ideas, but nothing is really grabbing me.
> ~Michal

I ordered the kit and extra glasses last year at the conference from Sax and
did a lesson with my 5th grade class. It was FANTASTIC!!!! For those of you
who don't know about Sax's 3-D glasses and lesson kit, they are selling paper
"glasses" that have lenses made out of a film that makes 2-d painting appear
3-d . The kids were mesmerized and every student very excited to finish the
project in order to get his/her glasses. They had the best time seeing
through the glasses warm colors pop out and cool colors receed.

The kids based their paintings on Cubism and Picasso-like portraits. In this
way, students used a wide range of colors and shapes and patterns that lent
itself well to a 3-d effect. They painted with tempera paint on paper. Each
child got a pair of glasses to take home with his/her art work. I rarely
repeat lessons from year to year. However, this one was such a hit, and the
kids so motivated by it, that I ordered more glasses again for this year's
5th grade. I plan to have a cubistic exhibit and attach glasses for the
viewing public to use when looking at the art.

The glasses are expensive, over $1.00 a piece, so if your budget doesn't
permit one per student to keep, just order as many as you can afford and let
them share. Judy, what's the info on that from the Sax catalogue?
Susan on Long Island

---