Re: Calafornia dreaming?

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 11:53:26 PST

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526
>From: Daceballos@aol.com
>In fact, the school districts here will require
> that you get a B-CLAD supplemental to your credential which equals about 12
> college units. A lot of teachers who move here weren't informed about that
> and it comes as a surprise to them once they get here.
> Dennis in Stockton (Central Valley) of CA
*****************

Yes. The CLAD credential in California. Our district isn't even hiring
anyone now without the CLAD credential. The elective teachers don't have to
have it YET but it's coming down the pike. I'm teaching one class of math
this year and I'm being really pressured into getting my CLAD credential. If
you are teaching here and don't have it, you must attend a 2-3 day workshop
each year about it.

Many of the experienced teachers in our district are really upset over this
whole issue. It's become a big threat hanging over our heads...and it's a
big can of worms that has been opened!!!! Not a lot of happy campers in my
faculty room.

California weather is PERFECT! and so is the lifestyle but it's
E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E to live here. In our district, 1/2 hr.'s drive from San
Francisco, most schools don't even HAVE an elementary art teacher so the art
teaching jobs in middle and high school are few and tough to get. Mostly you
just have to wait until someone dies before you can find an opening...or be
in the right place at the right time.

If you can get your foot in the door, you'll really like it here. It's the
best place on earth!!!!! Toodles....Bunki

---