Fulbright Memorial Fund

---------

From: V Moreira Komando (komandov_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 09:16:03 PST

Hello All,

I have just returned to the ArtsEdNet after being in
Japan for 3 weeks under the Fulbright Memorial Fund
Program for teachers. The October delegation consisted
of 187 teachers, administrators, technology and staff
development teachers. Not only did I have one of the
most culturally enriching experiences of my career, I
also had the opportunity to interact with teachers in
Japan and from all over the US.

As an FMF participant, I was privileged to see Kyogen
and Kabuki performances, travel to various parts of
Japan to experience the culture first hand, visited
elementary, middle school, high school, and a
university - speaking freely with students and staff.
I had the opportunity to see the Buddha in Hisa /
Kamakura - what an awesome sight and to know that it
was built in 1238! I experienced a home stay with a
Japanese family for 2 days, stayed in a traditional
Japanese Inn overnight, traveled to a prefecture
(Kokubunji), and made friends all over Japan:)There is
so much that I learned about the people, their
culture, and various aspects of life in Japan, as well
as their hopes and dreams as individuals and as a
nation. As I look at my photos - I re-live the special
moments that I experienced.

Almost everything was paid for (NOT included were
personal shopping and side trips we chose to make
during free time.) I would urge you all to apply for
this program. Visit the FMF web page:
http://www.iie.org/pgms/fmf/

I believe the deadline is December 18th for the 2002
delegation.

There are 3 delegations of 200 that go - June,
October, and December. The Novemeber delegation should
be on its way today. I would be most happy to answer
any questions you may have if you are interested -
just email me directly.

~^~
Vivian

PS While I was gone, the artist Wyland came to our
area to paint a mural for his 100 Wyland Whaling Walls
- to increase environmental awareness for marine life.
One of our administrators covered for me and took two
of my classes to participate in this event which
included school murals to be painted. One of the
students posted some of her photos from the trip so i
could see them while I was in Japan. Visit our web
site to see some of what the trip involved:

http://members.home.net/artzheart/

http://members.home.net/artzheart/wyland.html

=====
Increase the Peace ~^~