Re: What to Put in a Still Life?

---------

From: Dave Wuerffel (wuerfeld_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 07:44:56 PST

Joe,
One idea that worked well for me was to have them draw insects. Their size assures that the students will have to closely observe them, even if you do offer some type of magnification tool. You can have them draw several insects, or different views of the same one. They can be combined with other things from nature that can be drawn close to most schools (plants, trees, etc.) My students did them in pencil, then ink and afterward did a watercolor wash over part of the composition. You can also incorporate Photoshop if you wish to offer them the opportunity to abstract an element of their composition.
Concerned about where to get the insects? Check with your biology department about getting samples, as they usually have many samples that students have brought in. Good luck!
Jayne