Re: What to Put in a Still Life?

---------

From: Michelle H. Harrell (michelle_h_harrell_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 03 2001 - 16:33:05 PST

I missed the first few messages of this thread but I understand that you're
"finding it hard to come up with ideas on what to draw." For me, it depends
on what kind of drawing I'm having students do. For contour drawing, I like
lots of crates with holes, baskets, tea pots with handles, and ropes to
connect the objects. When I do major value exercises, we use all white
stuff like a lamp turned on, books stacked and opened, boxes, etc. I also
got a great idea from Carolyn Roberts (BTW- just got the Oodes of Idea and I
love it- thanks Bunki and Carolyn!) to use colored wine and water glasses
because they are all transparent. When I taught middle school, I asked them
all to bring in one object and I made a still life out of it. Weird stuff-
everything from a kitchen rooster to a tennis sneaker.

Michelle H. Harrell
http://harrell.srhs.net
michelle_h_harrell@hotmail.com
Southeast Raleigh High School