Moche Portrait vessels

---------

From: Judy Decker (Jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 03 2001 - 12:18:27 PST

I just got to thinking that maybe the original member was looking for Moche
portrait vessels..... Here are some images:
http://www.tribalarts.com/feature/peru/peru12.html

http://www.mintmuseum.org/mma/portrait.htm

http://www.sptimes.com/peru/graphics/figurines.jpg

http://www.fmch.ucla.edu/Collections/object9.htm

http://www.artcom.com/museums/newones/images/Oberlinperuvian02.jpg

http://www.artic.edu/aic/collections/afr/82mac_vessel.html

http://exchanges.state.gov/education/culprop/peru/ceramic/fi/0000002f.htm

http://emuseum.mnsu.edu/prehistory/latinamerica/south/cultures/moche.html

This site has some animations (see all sides)
http://www.museum.upenn.edu/Moche/mocheculture.html

http://www.dinamica.it/ecol/MUSEO/CERAMIC/PRECOL.HTM

Moche (from http://www.peru-explorer.com/preco.htm )
Between about 200BC and AD700 a militaristic society flourished on the
northern Peruvian coast. Formerly named after its language, Mochica, this
civilization is now referred to by the name of its major ceremonial
administrative site, Moche......
Moche ceramics, the best known of ancient Peruvian artifacts, are among the
finest pre-Columbian accomplishments of sculptural realism and narrative
drawing. So-called portrait-head effigy pots are especially notable for
realistically depicting human features and portraying emotion......

Brief summaries of South American cultures:
http://www.hbcollege.com/arts/gardner/student/ch14/southamericach14.htm

I have been thinking about trying the portrait vessel again....(got to use
my sample again sometime...smile).

Judy Decker

---