Re: What to Put in a Still Life?

---------

From: Mark Alexander (malexander06_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 03 2001 - 12:17:28 PST

I use an assortment of still life objects, for a variety of projects. Most of the objects I just keep around the art room. Almost none of them were purchased. Some are yard sale finds, and many objects are dump salvage. Some of the objects are white or are painted white, which I find helps students see value.

     A box of real bones, skulls and antlers.
     A life sized human skeleton (from the science teacher's closet).
     Bicycles, tricycles and skateboards (kids bring them in when asked).
     Curls made from rolled paper.
     Burlap and cotton duck.
     Fake and real fruit and vegetables.
     Real potted house plants.
     Assorted silk flowers.
     A child's carousel horse, painted white.
     Pitchers, tea kettles and vases.
     Variety of Victorian wood turnings from porch railings and furniture legs, etc., painted white.
     Assortments of wooden geometric solids (available from the catalogs).
     Assorted playing balls, painted white.
     Styrofoam eggs.
     Stuffed fox.

Hope this helps. Mark