Peace & Healing = ChildArt

---------

From: Ashfaq Ishaq (ishaq_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 03 2001 - 11:36:10 PST

Peace & Healing through Childrenís Art

Children across America and around the world have responded to the September 11th attacks by creating powerful and poignant paintings and drawings.

The current (Oct/Dec 2001) and the upcoming (Jan/Mar 2002) issue of the ChildArt quarterly magazine will both help in our nationís healing during this time of national crisis. Both issues will reassure our children that they are not alone in this world, that children everywhere dream the same dreams and have similar concerns.

Art and World Peace is the theme of the Oct-Dec 2001 issue, which features a message for children from Mrs. Kofi Annan. Also included are inspirational stories on conflict resolution programs, such as "Seeds for Peace," the Middle East.

Peace and Healing is the theme of Jan-March 2002 issue, which is dedicated to the children of the victims of the September 11 attacks. The issue will feature artworks and messages from children in New York, Washington, DC and other cities as ell as "how to" articles on healing through the arts. ICAF is collaborating with NYU Child Study Center, Yale University Department of Psychology, Potomac Art Therapists Association, Survivor Arts Foundation, Artsonia and the DC Art Education Association (DCAEA) to produce this issue.

ChildArt is published by the International Child Art Foundation (ICAF), the nationís child art and creativity organisation, which also serves as the umbrella for an expanding international network of concerned individuals and organisations. Mrs. Harriet Mayor Fulbright, Chairman of ICAF, is Editor-in-Chief.

Published since 1998, ChildArt is an advertisement-free magazine for children ages 8 to 80, but written for 8 to 12 year olds. ChildArt was recently praised by Today's Librarian as "a truly multicultural magazine to enrich every public library."

To order childart, please visit www.icaf.org for online membership or send an email to Member@icaf.org.

To submit your student's artwork or a story for the special issue, please contact me.

ishaq@icaf.org

---