Re: Papier mache pumpkin ?

---------

BibelotsOutpost_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Nov 03 2001 - 08:33:14 PST

Thanks for the advice and ideas, Betsy...
Just so folks curious will know... tissue paper on a
balloon form is light, airy, and translucent with 1.5 - 2
layers of light colors. Without the balloon, it is very
collapsible and fragile, but holds its form if handled
VERY carefully. With 4 - 5 layers it becomes opaque,
especially if using darker colors, and more sturdy.
It is still collapsible, but could be reshaped. An
interesting thing happens if the balloon starts shrinking
while the paper is still wet ~ the paper shrinks along with
it and develops fine wrinkles... looks not unlike the skin
of a cantaloupe.
Thanks again to everyone for all the advice...
Deborah

In a message dated 11/02/01 7:44:35 Central Standard Time, rlarson@tls.net
writes:

> Can you turn them upside down and make them into faces of some kind? the kids
> could draw with markers. I am visualizing these beautiful orange airy
> forms-
> maybe make a class mobile out of them? When the balloons deflate on my
> kids', I
> have them blow another one up to fit, or stuff with newspaper. I can't see
> doing that with 1st graders though- I bet just blowing up the balloons was a
> feat! We all have this happen to us- Betsy

---