Re: paper mache disaster

---------

BibelotsOutpost_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Nov 03 2001 - 08:33:00 PST

In a message dated 11/02/01 9:04:18 Central Standard Time, jvilensk@accn.org
writes:

> Hi,
> I personally love to do paper mache, although I don't think I would attempt
> balloon anything with first graders, who probably have enough trouble just
> blowing up the balloons!

The classroom teacher and I blew up the balloons. I'm not sure what
age level is safe for balloon-blowing, but I do know that balloon-choking
is one of the worst kinds. When do you usually allow kids to blow up
their own balloons?

> Lastly, stop listening to classroom teachers and doing inane holiday
> projects with kids, especially since they are rarely done by the given
> holiday if something goofy goes wrong. If they are determined to do
> holiday crafts, let them do the projects- you are a fine art teacher, not a

Well, I hope I will eventually be a fine arts teacher who teaches fine art
AND fine craft, but lesson learned about this particular timetable.
Thanks for all the info and advice!
Deborah

---