Re: water soluble oil pastels

---------

From: The Dodges (4boys_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 03 2001 - 07:47:57 PST

> I have a lot of water soluble oil pastels in my elementary supply cabinet-
the
> previous teacher bought them, and I've never used these things before.
What
> kinds of lessons have you used these for?

If they are the Portfolio brand they are wonderful to work with. I use these
with my high school students. Use them just as you would regular oil
pastels, except in a "resist" project. The pastels would not resist the
paint or water.
However, they smudge and smear easily with the warmth of student's fingers.
My students love creating abstract paintings. The colors are bold and
bright.
Just for fun - lay down a dark hue, then a lighter hue and next white. Then
smudge with your fingers the white into the lighter hue and this into the
darker hue. With practice you can make a nice gradient that shows depth.
Also, great for color theory. Lay down primary colors, then smudge together
like finger paints. Yes, very messy, but very fun and clean up with water.

---