Help students and teachers in Ghana,West Africa

---------

From: Y.R. Brown (imaniyo_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 17:04:37 PST

Hello Fellow Artsednetters:

As we all try to recover and heal from the tragedy of September 11th and
consider how prosperous and blessed we are to live in this country, I would
hope that we think about the abundance we have in our lives, at work and at
home. Every year for about 10 years I have done some sort of service
project with my son, friends and family. I would like to invite the list
members on the ArtsEdNet to participate in a project I've been doing for
artsake for two years. Please see the history and my proposal to you below.

A couple of years ago I completed a six week tour of Ghana, West Africa. I
traveled and studied in Ghana, looking at the beautiful terrain, people and
arts of Ghana. I concentrated my studies on the following: art education
delivery; girls education;contemporary art of Ghana; Adinkra and Kente
cloth; and traditional and contemporary
ceramics.

Having said all that I wish to share with you all some very disturbing news.
  The state of art education in Ghana, well at least the places I visited
can easily parallel and surpass the most underfunded, understaffed art
programs in this countries urban and rural schools. The arts education
programs I observed are suffering from lack of materials, and resources that
even the poorest school may pass off as unusable. The teachers may have a
10-15, even 20 year old text
book to work from. The students at both the secondary and university level
rarely have a copy of the required text. The students photocopy the
teachers text. The budgets for the secondary schools for a year is around
$400. U.S. dollars for say 800-1,000 students. Many students have to buy
their own art materials, and/or text because the schools do not have the
funds to purchase them. The average salary for an art teacher in the
secondary schools is about $150. U.S. dollars a month. The physical plant is
simple and older than most environs that we work in here in the states.

There is so much more that I could say, but I will stop here. I hope that I
have drawn a clear picture of the challenges that face the students and art
educators in Ghana. I would like to request that we as art educators,
advocates, administrators,etc. support these folks with small or large gifts
of materials and resources. I know that many of us get new equipment or
materials to replace items that are not useless, but older. I ask that you
pass the older, operable, useful items on to these folks. I have been
collecting materials and books from friends, family and colleagues for the
past two years and sending them to Ghana myself. I am not sure at this
juncture how we can get things to Ghana in mass quantities,but we are
ingenius Americans and Artists...the rest is gravy form here. I do have
some contacts with Ghanaian professionals working in North America that have
committed to helping me too.

I am also interested not just in giving things to the schools, but creating
partnerships and colleagueship with the art educators and students there.
Please see a list of items needed and the places they are needed. Thank you
in advance for anything you can do to support these programs.

Please contact me at imaniyo@hotmail.com if you wish to contribute materials
or books. I can also be reached at 606-1 Brill Drive, Oxford, Ohio
45056-2054

Achimota School
Mrs.Rosa Noye
and/or Chair of Art Department
Senoir Secondary School
P.O. Box AH 11
Achimota, Accra
Ghana, West Africa

* Relevant art education textbooks and periodicals
A few titles requested:

The Hand Decoration of Fabrics Batik, Stenciling, Silkscreen, Block Printing
and Tie Dyeing (1959) Francis J. Kafka

Batik & Tye-Dye techniques Nancy Belter

The complete bool of rug hooking Joan Moshimer

Paper Crafts projects with one piece of paper Michael Grater

American Indian Cut and Use Stencils Ed Sibbett

Border Design & Use of Stencils Ed Sibbett

Floral Cuts & Use of Stencils Ed Sibbett

The Artists and Craftsmans Guide to reducing , enlarging and transferring
designs Ruth Weiss

Charm of Color Quincy

Craftsmans Instruction Handbook Tony Pansi NY: Educational Materials,
Inc.

* Sketchbooks
* Color Wheel
* Pastel Paper
* Watercolour paper
* Colored construction paper
* Acrylic paint
* Adhesives
* Glue of all kinds
* Brushes
* Spray guns
* Linoleum tiles
* Lino tools
* Inking trays
* Marbeling kit
* Drawing mannequins
* Pencil sharpeners
* Calligraphy pens/kits
* India ink
* Pencils-graphite and colored
* Pastels
* Charcoal
* Looms
* Electric kiln
* Gas kiln
* Potters wheels
* Paper cutters
* Mat cutters
* Canvas
* Carving tools-wood/stone
* Portfolios
* Easels
* Masking tape
* Stencils -lettering for signs, etc.
* Pyrography (pokerwork) tools
* Plasticine
* Beads
* Tjanting
* Fabric dyes
* Leather
* Leatherwork tools
* Beeswax
* Double boiler pots
* Drawing inks
* Paraffin
* Decora Fabric Paint sets
* Silkscreen materials
* Staple guns
* Silk
* Pressure adhesive tape
* Lacquer film and adhering liquid
* Gloves (plastic)
* Caustic soda (hydrosulphite,hydosulphide)
* Staples for staple guns
* Gift membership in any national art organizations
* Share copies of materials relative to changes in art education
* Add name/address to any pertinent mailing lists
* Contact him for information on African Art.
* Ask him to contribute to scholarly journals in art education/art
* Posters related to art

Technology Secondary School
Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology
P.O.Box 26
Kumasi, Ghana (West Africa)
Attn: Mr. Larbi, Art Instructor

* Relevant art education textbooks and periodicals
* Drawing Paper
[...]
* Staple guns/staples

Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology
Dr. Emmanuel Nyarkoh
Art Education Department
Kumasi, Ghana (West Africa)

* Relevant art education/visual art textbooks and periodicals
* Gift membership in any national art organizations
* Share copies of materials relative to changes in art education
* Add name/address to any pertinent mailing lists
* Contact him for information on African Art.
* Ask him to contribute to scholarly journals in art education/art
* Posters related to art

And finally there is a Ghana Art Teachers Association (GATA), it can be
alikened to the N.A.E.A. they will meet for an
annual meeting on August 9-12 1999. I am sure these teachers would love to
create alliances with American art
educators. Please contact the National Secretary (GATA), Mr. M.J. Lellatom,
Achimota School, P.O. Box AH 11,
Achimota, Accra (West Africa)

Yolanda R. Brown

LIVE THE WORDS...REAP THE REWARDS!

Don't be a spectator in your own intellectual life!
                                                                        Thomas Jepsen

To decide to live at the level of choice is to take responsibility
and be in control of your life. Arbie M. Dale

“Self worth cannot be verified by others. You are a worthy person because
you say it is so. If you depend on others for your
  value it is other-worth.” Wayne Dyer-Your Erroneous Zones

Be prepared, curious and vigilant! Yolanda R. Brown

Be the change you wish to see in the world. Mahatma Gandhi

Vision looks inward and becomes duty.
Vision looks outward and becomes aspiration.
Vision looks upward and becomes faith. Author unknown

Conventional education makes independent thinking extremely difficult.
Conformity leads to mediocrity. To be different from the group or to resist
environment is not easy and is often risky as long as we worship success.
The urge to be successful, which is the pursuit of reward
whether in the material or in the so-called spiritual sphere, the search for
inward or outward security, the desire for comfort--this whole process
smothers discontent, puts an end to spontaneity and breeds fear; and fear
blocks the intelligent understanding of life.

                                                                        J. Krishnamurti
computer.