RE: Miriam Shapiro

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (hillmjan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 12:58:42 PST

Hooray - brings tears to my eyes!
Thanks for sharing.

Jan

-----Original Message-----
From: The Austin's [mailto:whest177@wheatstate.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2001 10:31 PM
To: ArtsEdNet Talk
Subject: Miriam Shapiro

Today was my field trip to the museum with my 6th graders to view the
Shapiro exhibit. It was fantastic! Bright bold colors and patterns just
took
my breath away. My students were excited about the entire trip, and as
we
pulled up to the museum they immediately recognized the 28'x52' Miro
mosaic
that adorns the front of the building. We hadn't studied Miro since 2nd
grade, so imagine my excitement! Inside one of the galleries I had to
laugh
when I discovered that a couple of nude paintings hadn't gone unnoticed
by
my pre-pubescent boys, and they were actually reading the bio sheet that
was
next to the painting (which were over a page long). Wonder if I can
count
that as my reading strategy for the week? *L* The students were
enthralled
with the entire museum and asked our tour guide very impressive
questions.
They wanted to talk about the paintings, the museum security system, how
they protect the artwork from fires and tornados, and what kind of
schooling
you need to be an artist or work at a museum. We returned to school with
10
minutes to spare and our administrator came in to ask about our trip.
The
students were anxious to share everything they had learned. I was so
proud
of my kids! If you ever need reinforcement that your students are
learning
anything just have them discuss art to an "outsider". My eyes were
definately opened to what they are learning! :-)
~Michal
whest177@wheatstate.com
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids