Miriam Shapiro

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 19:31:28 PST

Today was my field trip to the museum with my 6th graders to view the
Shapiro exhibit. It was fantastic! Bright bold colors and patterns just took
my breath away. My students were excited about the entire trip, and as we
pulled up to the museum they immediately recognized the 28'x52' Miro mosaic
that adorns the front of the building. We hadn't studied Miro since 2nd
grade, so imagine my excitement! Inside one of the galleries I had to laugh
when I discovered that a couple of nude paintings hadn't gone unnoticed by
my pre-pubescent boys, and they were actually reading the bio sheet that was
next to the painting (which were over a page long). Wonder if I can count
that as my reading strategy for the week? *L* The students were enthralled
with the entire museum and asked our tour guide very impressive questions.
They wanted to talk about the paintings, the museum security system, how
they protect the artwork from fires and tornados, and what kind of schooling
you need to be an artist or work at a museum. We returned to school with 10
minutes to spare and our administrator came in to ask about our trip. The
students were anxious to share everything they had learned. I was so proud
of my kids! If you ever need reinforcement that your students are learning
anything just have them discuss art to an "outsider". My eyes were
definately opened to what they are learning! :-)
~Michal
whest177@wheatstate.com
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids