Re: Molas with H.S. students

---------

From: Stephanie Soper (stephannie2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 18:20:48 PST

Dear Colleen,
  My four classmates and I did a mola lesson at the local high school here
in Boone, NC and it went over really well.
  We also just presented the slide show for our lesson at NCAEA this past
weekend, so it is so great that you asked!
  I may be able to send a copy of the lesson to you, but I'm getting ready
to go to NY this next week - maybe I could get it to you by the end of next
week? When are you planning to do the lesson?

Some ideas:
1. The students were only given a week to work (1 and 1/2 hrs per day every
day) - this wasn't long enough, though, so we would suggest two weeks to
work. (most of the works were approximately 8"x8").
2. You can have them tuck under the fabric if you'd like, but it can be a
pain and takes way too much time!!!... I would suggest that they would get
much more out of it if they just put one layer over another and sewed next
to the edge of the fabric... if you want them to experience sewing the way
that the Kuni/Cuni Indians do, then you may have them do a tiny skills piece
where they tuck the fabric under.
3. My art class was ART III (some of my classmates classes were art I and
II, so it works for all levels!) - I required them to have examples of
reverse applique, applique, regular stitching, and then 3 types of
embellishing stitches.
4. Tell them to be careful not to sew their molas to their pants!!hehe We
had a couple of students accidentally do this - it was quite humorous, but a
little frustrating for them!

I will be checking my e-mail regularly in NY also, so feel free to e-mail me
if you have any questions or want a copy of the lesson! If I think of
anything else pertinent I'll let you know!

<DIV>Art Education Major</DIV>
<DIV>Appalachian State University</DIV></html>