Papier mache pumpkin ?

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 17:46:00 PST

Should I quit while I'm not ahead and do something else
tomorrow? or should we attempt to save these somehow?
Sadder and definitely not wiser,
Deborah ---

Dear Deborah,

Aaah, hindsight is 20/20. My thoughts, and then some advice for next time.
I agree with Judy S., the first graders won't mind starting something new.
I find that even when the lesson is successful, they are ready to get to the
next thing, they just like to try new experiences.

Now, about the papier mache. . . I do a simple bowl form in second grade, a
mask form in third, a puppet form in fourth, and a sculpture/other in fifth
(sometimes). You need to focus the kids on going fast, getting the right
amount of glue, and getting many layers in one class. First graders don't
seem to be focused or coordinated enough (unless you have lots of time, like
an hour). If you use balloons, and some don't finish in one class, it helps
to tie a tight string below the knot on your tied balloons. The balloon
will usually keep its air/shape for another week. I usually use Ross art
paste and those stiff brown school paper towels. Like others have said,
though, Ross art paste is not particularly sturdy. I just like its clean
and easy characteristics.

Leah

---