Draw-A-Man Test

---------

From: Jean Eger Womack (jeaneger_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 10:48:17 PST

Dear Marvin,
I agree with you that drawing from memory, imagination or from observation
increases active thinking. However, how long would it take a child to
discover for himself or herself the principles of spatial perspective, or
the relationship of the bones and muscles to the face, just by drawing from
observation? Anyone can set an apple in front of a child and say, "Draw."
But it takes a trained art teacher to be able to communicate the art
elements and art principles in such a way that the child's expressive
vocabulary increases to the point where the child is happy with his or her
drawing ability.

Jean Eger Womack
sticks her neck out once again.
http://www.jeaneger.com

> connection better. Children who are inclined and encouraged to do lots of
> self-initiated drawing will probably develop better thinking skills. When
> they are drawing from memory, imagination, or from observation, they are
> actively thinking. Asking lots of thoughtful questions that can be
> answered by the drawings really increases the richness of their drawings
> because it stimulates thinking. In my opinion, showing them how to draw
> something shuts off thinking, ruins self-confidence, and stops the
creative
> process. =20
> Marvin Bartel
> Marvin Bartel, Ed.D