Re: Figure drawing and wire sculpture

---------

From: mark alexander (markcalexander_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 09:41:08 PST

If you have good maluable wire or can get it at a good price, either plan on using the rusting attributes of the wire to to your advantage or plan on taking rust prevention steps.
How can you use 'rust' in your sculpture? Make the rust patina and color an integral part of the piece. Create the sculpture; speed up the inevitable by dipping it in salty water; let it sit covered with the salt for a week or so; then wash the sculpture to remove the salt so it won't self destruct.
To prevent rust, first create the sculpture, then dip or spray the sculpture with rust inhibiting paint, then try not to bend the wires so the paint won't crack and allow rust to develop.
Good luck, Mark
  Heather Leal <rayleal@earthlink.net> wrote:
I bought another kind of wire ..........It was black and very easy to bend and
CHEAP. The only drawback we found was it rusted.......

Heather