Re: Primary Colors

---------

From: menichino (menichino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 30 2000 - 18:53:47 PST

Mary--
I had just gone to a workshop put on by the State of New York Education
Department. The person "in charge" of the visual arts stuff for our state
was presenting the information -- mostly relating to the upcoming New York
State Art Assessment (yes, a written, 2-hour test) that will be taken in all
Studio in Art courses in High School. In passing he mentioned magenta,
cyan, and yellow being primary colors. During our lunch break I asked him
specifically about why they were the "new" primaries. He said it goes back
to Monet's time, and that kids should be taught the correct way. He said if
I was teaching that red, yellow, and blue are primaries, then I am teaching
the wrong thing. And he left no leeway for differing opinions on this! So,
then feeling all guilty and ignorant, I turn to my artsednet pals for advice
and reassurance. Thanks, guys, you're great!
Liz in rural NY