Re: Christmas

---------

From: Neil Erickson (Jorgen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 30 2000 - 17:15:10 PST

I just taught a unit called "Seasonal Paintings" We brainstormed on the
board all the celebrations that different families have around this time of
year. Then we talked about the feelings that we have this time of year.
Then each child painted a painting about what was significant about this
time of year to them and to their family. I am always careful to show
respect for each thing and idea mentioned. This works in my district
although it might not fly other places.

I am getting lovely Chr. trees but also baby Jesus, Hannukah candles,
Rudolph, a Chinese New Year parade, families sitting around the fireplace,
snow pictures and -this one suprised and delighted me: a beautiful abstract
of some wide eyes and streaming black hair surrounded by blues and
purples-one boys visual representation of how he feels this time of year
because it is the anniversery of when they adopted his Korean baby sister. I
had him type up an explanation on the computer so I can mount it with his
painting. I actually cried when I read what he wrote it was so beautiful
and moving.

I agree with "No More Pumpkins" but have always thought a chance to express
is very important at Christmas. Especially for younger students it can be a
time of great excitement, expectation and happiness and also a time of
nervousness and fear and ??? due to broken families, broken expectations
etc.

Cindy Erickson