Re:Help me load my kiln

---------

From: Vivian Komando (komandv_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 30 2000 - 18:08:34 PST

Hi!

I load my kiln every day - and many moons ago had a know
it all visitor who had gotten his MFA in Ceramics. He
told me to use only 3 stilts/posts for my shelves because
of the stability factor for the shelf when the kiln
fired. I had been using 4 posts. He said the shelves
would "sag in the center and crack" if I kept firing with
4 stilts/posts due to expansion / contraction . I don't
know how true this is, but none of my shelves have
cracked (in 13 years) during a firing. I did have a
student go to find his piece before I had time to empty
the kiln one morning. He knocked the shelf down in the
kiln on top of everyone's projects. The art angels were
around that morning. Nothing broke Except that particular
student's project and the shelf. Amazing, but true!

Vivian

PS Some of my kids favorite glazes are the SAX glazes
that have the crystal bursts. (Colors like Blue Caprice
and Sassy Orange are listed on the page.)I have to order
these 2 - 3 times a year since they are the first ones
used up:)

=====
Increase the Peace ~^~ {^}Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope. Robert F. Kennedy