Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: watercolor names

From: Bill Sechler (BillSe_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2000 - 07:41:31 PST

According to the late expert, Ralph Mayer, "Hooker's Green" is a "mixture of pigments but labeled with a single name, containing impermanent or doubtful materials and have been discarded or relegated to the status of obsolete or inferior colors." In other words it is a combination of minerals and not a single or pure mineral pigment such as lapis lazuli is the base mineral/pigment of ultramarine blue. The nomenclature of the name Hooker is unknown to my reference but it could imply an adulterated green.

>>> 11/28 1:54 PM >>>
I was using tube watercolors with seventh graders the other day and the
name "hooker's green" was a great source of amusement to some of the
guys...Does anyone on the list know what or where the 'hooker' in this
green comes from?