Protecting and Rationing Supplies (partially a vent)

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 15:56:02 PST

Both my co-worker and I had a recent run on our supplies. My problem was the
same old same old - a parent wanted to do something different than we had
set up in the art studio and started pulling supplies out of the cupboard.
She got irate when a staff member told her no. "I paid good money to get in
here I should be able to do anything I want" ADMISSION IS $2 PER PERSON.
That includes touring the exhibit, 6 art activities based around elements in
the exhibit, face painting, funhouse mirror, giant kaleidoscope, use of our
computers, and browsing time in the Picture Book Library (500+ books). Her
kids had wasted more than $2 of face paint because they kept leaving them
sitting in the water and they melted to mush!

The guest ballet costume designer was using my co-workers space for a series
of workshops on costume design and mask making. The ballet was supposed to
supply all supplies. They told the designer, oh just take what you need out
of the cupboard, its ok they get it FREE! The school district provides a
very limited budget for the portfolio class. My co-worker walked in and they
had used most of her turpentoid (SP) (personal property) and 1/2 her gesso.
When she explained to the artist those materials were for her students, the
artist apologized. Our boss is going to replace the materials, because he
gave them the impression they could use anything they needed (he meant
non-consumables).

After a mutual gripe session we came up with our solution: When materials
have to be kept in the public areas of our art studios, we are using
newsprint to cover the front of the shelves in the cupboard. On the
newsprint it will say things like Supplies for Future Exhibits, Supplies for
January, or Supplies for Portfolio Class. You will have to tear the
newsprint to get to the materials, so no more I thought we were allowed to
use it nonsense. In addition, they are coming up with a "rental" agreement
for use of the SAMFA art studio. While most groups are not charged for use
of the space, it will specify what we are providing, what we are not
providing, and the condition the room should be left in at the end of each
day. We don't need one for CAM, because the Art Studio is in the same large
room as the gallery. Insurance requires a staff member be present anytime
anyone is in the gallery area.

Kimberly Herbert (kimberly@wcc.net)
CAM Administrator