Re: new teacher seeks help with aggressive students

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 26 2000 - 10:52:38 PST

sarah backstrom wrote:

> My major problem seems to be that my students don't
> believe that there are genuine consequences to their actions. The boys in
> my class like to get in my face and ask questions such as, what will happen
> if I hit you? or you won't really go to the headmaster if I hit a girl.

Well, ARE there consequences for their actions? If you report it to the
headmaster will he take swift and appropriate action? They must NOT be
allowed to intimidate you. Where is your cooperating teacher when this
is going on? Is s/he having the same problem? Right now, today,
document every name, date, and time of every incident you can. Go to
your headmaster first thing in the morning. Ask him to call these boys
in that minute. Don't meet with all of them at once; you don't want
them to have the comfort of their "pack". If he doesn't take immediate
action, call their parents and insist they come in. Make sure their son
is present during the conference so he can't change his story when he
gets home.

Do not, under any circumstances, give them any more chances. These
little twerps will probably cave as soon as they are facing the
headmaster (if indeed, he's got some backbone to deal with it) or their
parents. Make sure they understand you are documenting each remark.

Maggie