Re: new teacher seeks help with aggressive students

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 26 2000 - 16:03:43 PST

> I am a new teacher, actually not even yet out of teachers college. I am
> experiencing some pretty extreme difficultys with a group of high school
> boys. I living currently in Cairo, Egypt and doing my teaching practicum at
> an American School. My major problem seems to be that my students don't
> believe that there are genuine consequences to their actions. The boys in
> my class like to get in my face and ask questions such as, what will happen
> if I hit you? or you won't really go to the headmaster if I hit a girl.

I am not sure of the cultural differences in Egypt, but here in the USA
I personally would show them that I would indeed give them consequences
for their actions. They have threatened you and for that I would speak
to my administrator. My administrator would then pull them into the
office and probably give them 3 days in-school suspension (he won't give
them out-of-school suspension cause they might enjoy themselves! *L*).
This would also entail spending an entire Saturday in his office if they
wanted any credit for any assignments missed during their 3 days. Good
luck, we're behind you!
~Michal