Re: Paper casting

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 26 2000 - 15:33:23 PST

> Went to the local arts show yesterday and saw some cast paper. This
> gave me an idea to do that with a class. Anyone else ever done this
> with their classes, and if so, can you give me some pointers?
>
> The idea I had is to have the kids make a clay relief, then make a
> plaster negative from that, then use the plaster negative to pour
> paper positives, and have them paint the result.

I did this in college - we made both the relief and the negative from
clay. The main pointer I would give is to make sure that the molds you
make are fairly thick. Mine was about 1/4" thick and of course I broke
it right off. They need to be thick enough to endure the pressure of
extracting water from the paper pulp. We had to make our "object" be
something from nature. I made a seahorse (I had one I took to school
look at - others took leaves, flowers, etc.) During this time the campus
had a paper cast exhibit, and one artist took pulp and covered different
objects - one I remember well was a car tire. After the pulp dried she
removed it from the tire and had a free standing sculpture. The inside
had tread texture while the outside was smooth (well, as smooth as paper
pulp can get anyway!). It was a fascinating exhibit.

Good luck and be sure to share the results with us!
~Michal
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids