Re: doing heavy-duty drawing skills

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 24 2000 - 19:56:05 PST

Bunki Kramer wrote:

> Even though I really love my curriculum, I find it very frustrating at times
> dealing with those few who don't think they are artistic enough to learn our
> heavy-duty drawing skills and spend soooo much time trying to convince me
> it's nigh impossible. It's such a big hurdle for them (mental confidence)
> and soooo frustrating for me. I'm certainly not asking the impossible but I
> am asking a lot. <snip> I
> can't seem to let these few go who whine that they can't do it when they
> can. These are the very people I want to reach. Invariably they do achieve
> but I wind up being the "bitch". They like their final product but they hate
> me. Does anyone else experience this? It I lighten up (dumb down) the unit,
> then they'll not get the skills they can achieve. Someone please tell me
> it's worth it. Gurrrrrrr....a

Dear fellow bitch,

Yes, it's worth it as long as they are indeed getting it, and you're not
stressing yourself out to the extent where you hate what you're doing.
You know as well as I do there comes a time when you have to let go.
I'm guessing that those kids are still learning something, and when they
take art in HS, it will show. Sometimes when I comment to the MS
teachers on some of their former students, they're amazed that s/he is
producing at all, much less doing well--and all because of what they
taught the kid.

Bunki, your MS program is probably more comprehensive than a lot of HS
programs. I'm in awe of it. It's okay to lighten up a little--it
doesn't have to be dumbed. After all, isn't art supposed to be

Maggie