Reply to Bunki: Drawing

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 23 2000 - 19:56:29 PST

Bunki,
Years back, when I had my beginning students every day, for a semester,
either 6th or 7th grade I could really concentrate on drawing and
include basic
stuff like color theory too. Now with this nine week thing in place,
about the
time we get a good working relationship with them, they leave me. As
you
must know from my ranting, I am a "Reading" teacher 40% of my time, with no
background or training I might add.
Just Venting, Woody in KC
I might add, and my principal concurs, I write better plans and I do a
better job
of teaching reading than the trained reading teachers. But what a waste
of
12 years of training and 25 years of experience in a field I truly love.
I'll get
really good at this reading thing in about 2 1/2 years, then I retire.
Then I can
teach art part time, which is what I feel like I'm doing now. Sixth
graders come
up to me now and ask why they don't have art. I'm honest and reply, "Honey,
there is only one of me, and I only get to teach art 4 times a day.
There's not
enough of me to go around, sorry."

--
I'm from Kansas, where the voters threw out
To respond to me privately via E-mail