doing heavy-duty drawing skills

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 23 2000 - 12:10:32 PST

--MS_Mac_OE_3057826232_610961_MIME_Part

I have 7th graders for quarter rotations this year for the first time. I'm
used to 7-week rotations from the past. I would like to share specific ideas
with some of you about what you teach them in this short length of time.
Even though I really love my curriculum, I find it very frustrating at times
dealing with those few who don't think they are artistic enough to learn our
heavy-duty drawing skills and spend soooo much time trying to convince me
it's nigh impossible. It's such a big hurdle for them (mental confidence)
and soooo frustrating for me. I'm certainly not asking the impossible but I
am asking alot. Occasionally I find I'm banging my head on the desk in
stress and vowing to never do it again but then the next time rolls around
and I think it's important enough to do. I know my demeanor changes because
of my frustation and I won't accept anything less than what I know I can
expect from them. The time is there to do the unit but a few waste it. I
can't seem to let these few go who whine that they can't do it when they
can. These are the very people I want to reach. Invariably they do achieve
but I wind up being the "bitch". They like their final product but they hate
me. Does anyone else experience this? It I lighten up (dumb down) the unit,
then they'll not get the skills they can achieve. Someone please tell me
it's worth it. Gurrrrrrr....and toodles.....
--MS_Mac_OE_3057826232_610961_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>doing heavy-duty drawing skills</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#FFFFFF">
I have 7th graders for quarter rotations this year for the first time. I'm =
used to 7-week rotations from the past. I would like to share specific ideas=
with some of you about what you teach them in this short length of time. Ev=
en though I really love my curriculum, I find it very frustrating at times d=
ealing with those few who don't think they are artistic enough to learn our =
heavy-duty drawing skills and spend soooo much time trying to convince me it=
's nigh impossible. It's such a big hurdle for them (mental confidence) and =
soooo frustrating for me. I'm certainly not asking the impossible but I <B>a=
m</B> asking alot. Occasionally I find I'm banging my head on the desk in st=
ress and vowing to never do it again but then the next time rolls around and=
I think it's important enough to do. I know my demeanor changes because of =
my frustation and I won't accept anything less than what I know I can expect=
from them. The time is there to do the unit but a few waste it. I can't see=
m to let these few go who whine that they can't do it when they can. These a=
re the very people I want to reach. Invariably they do achieve but I wind up=
being the &quot;bitch&quot;. They like their final product but they hate me=
Does anyone else experience this? It I lighten up (dumb down) the unit, th=
en they'll not get the skills they can achieve. Someone please tell me it's =
worth it. Gurrrrrrr....and toodles.....
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3057826232_610961_MIME_Part--