Re: what about the "good" kids?

---------

Bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Thu Nov 23 2000 - 11:21:54 PST

In a message dated 11/22/2000 7:02:33 PM Pacific Standard Time,
ARTNSOUL12@aol.com writes:

> . I think the key is placing the RESPONSIBILITY of using the supplies
> properly with each individual child. Let them each make the decision, take
> the responsibility for him or herself, and individually reap the rewards or
> consequences.

I agree with Susan that it is hard to punish the hard working students,
I had a very poor Art 4 class last year with Seniors in High School who
acted like 3 rd graders. It was almost enough to make me quit and be a
plumber.

However I removed the kids who where dead weight, ignored the kids who didn't
work or complain that it was too hard, gave D's and F's in a class that
should be easy for success and worked very hard with the ones that were going
on to college and the interested students. It was hard for me because I
usually have a great class of Art 4's however these people have been like
this all 4 years and as seniors they became intolerable. Work with the good
kids and discipline harshly t he slackers and keep your integrity. They
can't win unless we let them.

Ken Schwab
San Jose CA