Re:Middle School Schedule / Sucks

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 23 2000 - 09:39:06 PST

I would not suggest our schedule for a model for anyone, but here it is:
We divide our school into 4 multiage houses, each with about 120
students and five core staff members. The core subjects are delivered
by those 5 teachers as they decide best. Two houses have an 160 minute
block to use, the other two houses have the time in 42 minute classes.
Electives (Encore) are provided when the core teachers are on plan.
Every staff member has 2 plans, one is collab and one personal. Our entire
school is on an 8 period bell schedule. In the morning "every" teacher teaches
either reading or math to a leveled group (mixed grade) of students.

My day goes this way:
Hr 1 Reading (Level 7-12) 60 min
Hr 2 Reading (Level 6) 60 min
Hr 3 Art 8 (full year) 42 min
Hr 4 Art 7 (quarter) 42 min
Hr 5 Encore collab plan/lunch 75 min
Hr 6 Art 8 (full year) 42 min
Hr 7 Art 7 (quarter) 42 min
Hr 8 Personal Plan 47 min

Wednesday is different because students are released 2 hours early
for the weekly teacher in-service.

Problems: I have no training in teaching reading, but I love it.
I dropped 6th grade art cause their was no room in the schedule
I teach my passion and expertise only 4 times a day.
I am on house one team but I don't meet/plan with them.

This is confusing, I hope it helps. Woody in KC

--
I'm from Kansas, where the voters threw out
To respond to me privately via E-mail