Re: what about the "good" kids?

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Wed Nov 22 2000 - 18:59:50 PST

In a message dated 11/22/00 8:16:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
gregjuli@execpc.com writes:

> But that is the trouble with whole class punishments at times--- the "good"
> kids get stuck in the whole mess. How do some of you handle that situation?

I agree that the good kids getting stuck which is why I don't believe in
class punishments. Why should even one innocent child be deprived or
punished? How about two activities, one for the cooperating children and one
for the others, with tables delegated for both activities? For example, I
would have painting tables for the children who are serious about using the
supplies properly (or clay tables-whatever) and let the others do a torn
paper collage and join the paint or clay activities when they feel they are
ready. I think the key is placing the RESPONSIBILITY of using the supplies
properly with each individual child. Let them each make the decision, take
the responsibility for him or herself, and individually reap the rewards or
consequences.

I say use those "good" students as catalysts. Punishing the whole class puts
forth a negative and defeatist tone for us as teachers. Susan on Long
Island