NEGP Weekly 11/16/00- The fourth 'R'

---------

From: BJ Berquist (berquist_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 22 2000 - 01:33:51 PST

THE FOURTH "R": ART

The "Internet revolution in education" has boosted art to the head of
the class, according to Jason Ohler, director of the education
technology program at the University of Alaska Southeast. In an article
for EDUCATIONAL LEADERSHIP, Ohler writes, "the multimedia environment of
the Web, as well as much of what we experience through our computers,
requires students to think and communicate as designers and artists."
(EDUCATIONAL LEADERSHIP, Association for Supervision and Curriculum
Development, October 2000) Art, thus, is fast becoming the "next
literacy."

For more information, e-mail Jason Ohler at jason.ohler@uas.alaska.edu.

The NEGP WEEKLY is a publication of:
The National Education Goals Panel