Our own personalized "marching ants"

---------

From: Melissa Enderle (melissa_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 13:59:01 PST

Being in Africa, I've had to make some adjustments in how I store
food, since there are quite an abundance of small ants. You'll see
the tiny critters marching merrily along the cupboards, walls, etc.,
looking for food. They can even get in what I thought was a sealed
ziplock bag! Anyway, it is also not uncommon to see the little
critters at school. I even saw a couple crawling inside the clear
front label of the new iMac computers. Mentioned it to the director,
who didn't seem phased. Today, I went to make a change on an iMac and
had to tip it to access the bottom. When doing that, I noticed
something dark where a clear plastic cover was. Looking closer, I
noticed movement - ants and a whole bunch of eggs - they had made a
nest in the computer!
That took the director's attention. We think the ants may have
entered at the tiny holes in the base. Luckily, the space they were
in seems quite well sealed (from the main guts of the computer). I
checked a couple more computers next to that one and saw nothing. I
then took a closer look at the computer I was projecting from - those
couple of ants marching up the ethernet cord didn't look so innocent
anymore. Sure enough, another nest. The janitors are going to check
the rest tonight. Certainly I never thought of this computer dilemma!

--
| Melissa Enderle |
/)| melissa@afribone.net.ml |( / )| || __( ( art teacher/ adaptive art /_) ) )__