Re: 3-1/2 weeks

---------

From: Davis, Lisa (davisli_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 08:18:14 PST

I have the same situation with my 8th graders. The kids keep asking me "when do we get to do clay"? I know that if I let them get ahold of clay it would be a horrendous disaster-- big mess and many office referrals. So we're simply not going to do it until they show me they can handle the materials (like paint, brushes, and paper). They aren't mature enough to work responsibly and clean up after themselves. They need lots and lots of structure. As the teacher, I need to make the call whether the kids can handle it or not. These kids can't. If your students can't either, I say save yourself the trauma!!!! Just my opinion.

>>> jab1997@bryanisd.org 11/21/00 06:29AM >>>
BF,

I have a seventh period class like that also. I was even having trouble
with just using tempera paint. I stopped that and went to crayons for
anything. I am facing the same situation with using clay or linoleum
cutters. When the majority of the class is too immature to handle simple
Art I, it is strictly bookwork with the possibility of home projects when
applicable. I have been in this situation all year. We are on the
seventh period track. 90% of the students, and I have researched, have
three or more referrals to the office at this time, not just from my class
either. It is really hard to get up and go to school knowing you face
that at the end of the day. I spent two weekends, four hours each,
contacting every parent twice on these students. I haven't even begun to
think clay at this point.

Jackie

---
You are currently subscribed to artsednet as: davisli@LODI.k12.WI.US