Re: 3-1/2 weeks

---------

From: Cohasset - Deer Hill - Ann - Berman (aberman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 05:47:17 PST

--------------84C83E9259E1FA99CACA6465

I adjust lessons all the time. Usually, i will simplify the unit rather
than delete it from the semester all together. if one class can't handle
the material responsibly, i might try going over just the hand-building
techniques, one at a time. this may sound silly, but i have them create
pinch pots with their eyes closed, to really feel the the wall
thickness, and the form, etc.simplify. instead of joining two pinchpots,
create one pinchpot and have them add coils to the rim, altering the
shape of their pot and learning to join at the same time. Don't give
class any free time, have them follow you, step by step, then at least
you will have introduced clay, taught different hand-building and
joining techniques, and play it by ear, maybe the class will behave
better if their hands are occupied!! For me, "clean-up" with these
tough classes, is almost impossible. again simplify. a big tub of water
in the sink, instead of running the faucet...let 'em rinse their hands
in the water, stack the mats, put tools back in the cans, wipe down
tables, a few kids at a time, while rest of class remains sitting. i
hope this helps.

felsecker1 wrote:

--------------84C83E9259E1FA99CACA6465

I adjust lessons all the time. Usually, i will simplify the unit rather
than delete it from the semester all together. if one class can't handle
the material responsibly, i might try going over just the hand-building
techniques, one at a time. this may sound silly, but i have them create
pinch pots with their eyes closed, to really feel the the wall thickness,
and the form, etc.simplify. instead of joining two pinchpots, create one
pinchpot and have them add coils to the rim, altering the shape of their
pot and learning to join at the same time. Don't give class any free time,
have them follow you, step by step, then at least you will have introduced
clay, taught different hand-building and joining techniques, and play it
by ear, maybe the class will behave better if their hands are occupied!!&nbsp;