Re: SSD and more than you probably wanted to know!

---------

Iteachart7_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon Nov 20 2000 - 13:52:45 PST

In a message dated 11/20/00 5:46:07 AM Eastern Standard Time,
colmans1@cape.com writes:

> I love your concept of Sustained, Silent Drawing. I know you have mentioned
> this in the past, but could you give a few more details? What are the
> students working on? Is it a still life or do they bring in their own
> objects? Is it observational or otherwise?

Hi Marion,
Thanks. It is something I've been using since I started at this school. I
used it at first because I thought I was going to loose my mind! 1st year
teaching and a prep school and these kids just couldn't stop talking! Then
one Friday, which I always set aside for observational drawing, I said NO
TALKING. Didn't yell, just repeated it every time a question was asked-NO
TALKING. That was for sanity. Then I realized and they did too, that-hey,
look what happens when I actually concentrate!!! The allowance of
CDs(theirs) came later with much begging and promises, I gave in, and things
got even better!
So, to answer your question (sorry about the rambling) The SSD is strictly
observational from still-life, Sometimes on each table, sometimes on the back
wall. They get their drawing boards, paper, drawing pencils, viewfinders and
listen for instructions. I say begin, headphones go on and I'm in heaven! (
or the politically correct version, like MACY's the night before the one day
sale)
Anyway-while they draw, I have my board set up and draw right along with
them. I circulate and praise answer questions, etc., then go back to drawing.
Haven't dared to put my headphones on -haha- but I do place music for those
without. It's a nice break from our structured pace.

Peace and quiet
Gabrielle