Re: Portable CD players in the classroom

---------

Iteachart7_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Nov 19 2000 - 20:37:43 PST

In a message dated 11/18/00 9:57:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
felsecker@home.com writes:

> Anyway, I was wondering what you all feel about portable CD's in the
> classroom? I need some very excellent reasons why it would be beneficial
> to the students (I teach 9-12) to be able to listen, privately and quietly,
> to their own choice of music, while working steadily and quietly on their
> current projects

Hi,
I teach HS and I allow CD players only on SSD days (Sustained Silent Drawing)
or, as my kids call it (Shut-up sit down and draw!) Usually held every other
friday although with this week being only three days, I have planned a three
day GLORIOUSLY quiet drawing session! They look forward to it. they all
know the rules, and follow them to the "T" or they risk loosing the privelage.
I know I like to work with music on. It helps me get "lost" in my work. OF
course, I listen to entirely different music, but who am I to say What they
should listen to? What ever floats their boat................
Peace
Gabrielle