projects compl. per year (was, Just curious . . .)

---------

From: Litesal (litesal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 19 2000 - 18:54:15 PST

> I am just curious as to how many lessons (average) you complete throughout
> the year with elementary school kids.

I'm weighing in on this late, but, here it goes . . .

I teach k-5, and I have them all for 40 min. once a week (34 classes a
week). I try to keep the lessons to one to two classes in k-2, simply
because they seem to lose interest so quickly. However, I feel that it's my
job to help them to sustain interest for longer periods of time so that they
can produce quality work. For that reason, I do lessons that require some
problem solving, and original creative thought. I especially try to get
them to think of and add details and backgrounds.

In grades 2 and 3, lessons tend to take 2-4 classes. In grades 4 and 5, we
are lucky to get one "project" done a month since the techniques are more
sophisticated, and we spend more time with history, planning, revision, and
critique.

Leah
p.s. In my introduction letter, I commonly use the phrase, "What students
take home in their heads, is more important than what they take home in
their hands."