Re:Getty Museum field trip rocks!

---------

From: Teri Brudnak (tbrudnak_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 18 2000 - 12:45:59 PST

We finally got it all together and took the AP Art History class and the
Advanced and AP Studio students to the Getty Museum. My partner who
teaches art history and I had to travel up first for an orientation. I
guess they weed out the faint of heart this way.
The bus ride was long and bumpy in heavy traffic from Orange County, but
my assignments for my class involved lots of drawing in their
sketchbooks and I have never seen such hungry young artists. We could
not tear them away from the Rafael drawing show and when they got to the
Ancient art they were sketching furiously. At every gallery, they were drawing.
We had just finished a lesson on Cezanne and how his style prepared the
ground for art movements like Cubism---it was so exciting to see them
pointing out the solid drapery and broken contours of his brushstrokes.
In one of the art resource rooms, there is a fantastic step-by step
display on the lost wax casting of a sculpture. I wanted them to see
that and take notes as we are doing small pewter castings later in the
semester.
What a great day!!!!
Thanks, J. Paul
One of the kids bought a tshirt in the museum bookstore that says:
"Getty Rocks"
Indeed it does!

Worn out but happy,
Teri in So Cal

PS: on Monday they will have to tell me what kind of art they think
needs to be added to the museum and why!!