3-d projects for 5th grade

---------

From: jeryl Hollingsworth (holl5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 17 2000 - 20:56:01 PST

Don't know if the person still needs some ideas for cheap 3-d
projects....I'm just getting caught up on a week's worth of
digests...anyway, remember the tinfoil people we talked about last
year. I do them with 4th graders after we do gesture drawings. They
make a person with tinfoil -who can be posed and drawn in the gesture
format . Then we take it a step further and wrap the figure with masking
tape, paint, embellish with yarn , cloth etc.. and mount on a base.
Another idea, the old packing foam peanuts have been replaced in many
cases with a biodegradable material that "melts" when wet. The neat
thing is they can be used like building blocks to make sculptures. I put
out boxes of them at each table and a small dish of water. Dip two ends
in the water and then press together for a few seconds and the pieces
are "welded" together. The trick is not using too much water or you get
a globby mess. Of course then you just throw it all away and start over
because the material is free. The janitor at my school is real good
about watching for the stuff for me. It smells like Cheerios and if you
aren't sure just wet it and you'll know right away if its the new stuff
or the old styro. I think both of thses ideas are in the archives but if
anyone has trouble finding them, I have folders saved with the info.
Jeryl in SC