Fwd: Miro Project

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Fri Nov 17 2000 - 17:33:54 PST

attached mail follows:

In a message dated 11/16/00 7:03:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
skygeoff@home.com writes:

> I love your Miro project. Do you paint a light wash first? What kinds
> of images do you draw? What do you do with the muslin when you're
> finished? Does the tempera paint need to be thinned? I would like to
> try this with my second graders. I bet they would love it.

Thanks, Sky........
The kids painted the unbleached muslin (thin muslin is best) with water first
and then used water color paint on the wet fabric. I stressed that they were
to just blend colors (picking 3-4 colors from the Prang 16 color set) and not
worry about producing a pattern. The kids all seem to want to paint those
rainbows-ugh, so I had them start in the middle and work out. The colors on
the muslin dry very softly blended and muted looking- a great background!

Of course, we discussed Miro's work, concentrating on his "People, a Dog in
the Sun" painting. The kids point out what they see and discover that Miro's
person and the dog share the same head. We turn the print upside down and
view the painting this way, too. I elicit from them Miro's use of many
different "playful" shapes and dancing lines, his trademark star, and
overlapping shapes, etc. in all the different Miro prints that I display
around the room. With this as their frame of reference, I ask them to draw
their own picture with a black sharpie which incorporates two bodies and one
head- either two people or two animals or one person and one animal. Let
imaginations run wild...anything goes. In addition they make their own lines
dance, use overlapping shapes, and add symbols if they choose. I encourage
a picture which can also be viewed upsidedown, so there's a challenge here.

Next lesson: I put the dried painted muslin on top of the drawing and tape
them together with masking tape. Students trace their drawing with a black
sharpie permanent marker onto the fabric. If the muslin is too heavy (one
piece I used was) then they might have to hold it up to the window to trace.
Doesn't take long to do this. I give them red, blue, green, and yellow
tempera paint and very small brushes to paint in the areas of their drawings.
No, I don't thin the tempera paint. It dries beautifully.

I have those cheapo readymade mats and will tape the finished painting onto
the mat. Hope this helps and is clear. Susan on Long Island