pantyhose sculpture.....

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 16 2000 - 22:11:45 PST

--MS_Mac_OE_3057257505_79711_MIME_Part

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

Thanks LOADS!!!!!!!!!!! Now, just to be sure I have this down: We take the
wood block and drill holes, fill w/ glue and stick both ends of a cut-open
wire coat hanger in the holes. Then shape wire into something abstract, and
cover w/ hose. Then painted w/ gesso and paint over gesso when dry. Is
that about the size of it? I don't have enough gesso, but I DO have a 5gal.
bucket of house paint. WooHoo!!!

My kids are going nuts trying to figure out why they have to bring HOSE to
school, and FORGET about explaining it to Hispanic kids. I don't think hose
are part of their culture.<G> We had the Spanish/English dictionary out,
and still dinna find a word that means knee-high hose in Spanish. Closest
we could come was 'medias', which appear to be pantyhose.....

My kids (7&8th graders) cut the loop off the top of the hanger. They
straigten them out with pliers until absolutely straight with no
bumps/bends. They sit on the floor near the legs of the tables and wind the
straight wire around the table leg making it into smoothly rounded curves.
The two ends are measured on top of the block of wood and I drill the holes
where they want them to be. It's glue-gunned into place. The knee-hi's are
pulled TIGHTLY over the wire and wood and twisted TIGHTLY underneath. While
they hold them TIGHTLY in place (have I emphasized TIGHTLY enough?), I
glue-gun the bottoms AROUND the bottom edge underneath (so they'll stand
straight up without tipping).

We didn't gesso ours...(the one I gessoed beforehand didn't seem all that
different than not doing it so decided not to waste the time and $$$ to
gesso)....we just used straight tempera painted on. Takes two good coats,
then they painted their designs. I tried decoupage, spray varnish, etc. over
a couple of mine to see how to finish them off. Finally decided to not use
anything at all. Everything else left if kinda yellowy or darkened the
color. The hose remains SLIGHTLY flexible but not terribly so. My kids were
careful with their sculptures when finished so I didn't worry about not
finishing them with a fixative.

Interesting about the Spanish take on hose. Let us know how it turns out.
Take lots of pics for us on the list. Toodles.......
--MS_Mac_OE_3057257505_79711_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE> pantyhose sculpture.....</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#FFFFFF">
<BR>
from: Bunki Kramer (bkramer@srvusd.k12.ca.us)<BR>
Los Cerros Middle School<BR>
968 Blemer Road<BR>
Danville, CA 94526<BR>
http://ww2.lcms.srvusd.k12.ca.us/faculty/faculty.html <BR>
*****************<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE>&nbsp;<BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Thanks LOADS!!!!!!!!!!! &nbsp;Now, just t=
o be sure I have this down: &nbsp;We take the wood block and drill holes, fi=
ll w/ glue and stick both ends of a cut-open wire coat hanger in the holes. =
&nbsp;Then shape wire into something abstract, and cover w/ hose. &nbsp;Then=
painted w/ gesso and paint over gesso when dry. &nbsp;Is that about the siz=
e of it? &nbsp;I don't have enough gesso, but I DO have a 5gal. bucket of ho=
use paint. &nbsp;WooHoo!!!<BR>
</FONT></FONT>&nbsp;<BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">My kids are going nuts trying to figure o=
ut why they have to bring HOSE to school, and FORGET about explaining it to =
Hispanic kids. &nbsp;I don't think hose are part of their culture.&lt;G&gt; =
&nbsp;We had the Spanish/English dictionary out, and still dinna find a word=
that means knee-high hose in Spanish. &nbsp;Closest we could come was 'medi=
as', which appear to be pantyhose.....<BR>
</FONT></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE>*****************<BR>
<BR>
My kids (7&amp;8th graders) cut the loop off the top of the hanger. They st=
raigten them out with pliers until absolutely straight with no bumps/bends. =
They sit on the floor near the legs of the tables and wind the straight wire=
around the table leg making it into smoothly rounded curves. The two ends a=
re measured on top of the block of wood and I drill the holes where they wan=
t them to be. It's glue-gunned into place. The knee-hi's are pulled TIGHTLY =
over the wire and wood and twisted TIGHTLY underneath. While they hold them =
TIGHTLY in place (have I emphasized TIGHTLY enough?), I glue-gun the bottoms=
AROUND the bottom edge underneath (so they'll stand straight up without tip=
ping). <BR>
<BR>
We didn't gesso ours...(the one I gessoed beforehand didn't seem all that d=
ifferent than not doing it so decided not to waste the time and $$$ to gesso=
)....we just used straight tempera painted on. Takes two good coats, then th=
ey painted their designs. I tried decoupage, spray varnish, etc. over a coup=
le of mine to see how to finish them off. Finally decided to not use anythin=
g at all. &nbsp;Everything else left if kinda yellowy or darkened the color.=
The hose remains SLIGHTLY flexible but not terribly so. My kids were carefu=
l with their sculptures when finished so I didn't worry about not finishing =
them with a fixative. <BR>
<BR>
Interesting about the Spanish take on hose. Let us know how it turns out. T=
ake lots of pics for us on the list. Toodles.......
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3057257505_79711_MIME_Part--